We’re organizing at City Hall (100 NW 1st Ave, Delray Beach, FL 33444) and taking flight from there. Please arrive at City Hall, between 7:30 and 8 AM. (Earlier is better). Even though you might have registered online you’ll need to get your wrist band and get a bike safety check. The official start time for the ride is 9 AM but with any luck we’ll leave at 8:45. There will be a catch up break at Anchor Park before our arrival at the Green Market. Don’t worry about how to get there, just follow the Alpha and Beta Witches.
2018 Fundraiser Results
In case you missed the fundraiser hosted by Tim Finnegans Irish Pub, (shame on you if you did) it was its usual success. We surpassed our previous year by raising over $5,000 in the fundraiser alone. Combined with rider registration, we’ve already beat last year’s total and we’re still registering riders until Friday. Well done witches! Join us at the ride to see the final total.
- Review the rider rules HERE.
- View the Route Map HERE.
- Test drive your bike fully decorated. Are the decorations safe and do not interfere with safe bicycle operation? (Are they waterproof in case of rain?)
- Is your costume bicycle friendly? Wind could blow your costume into moving parts. Make sure nothing can get caught in the spokes, chain and otherwise interfere with safe operation of the bike. (again, waterproof?)
- Is your hat tied down? It’s hard to keep both hands on the handlebars if you’re holding your hat down. If you missed our hat grommet station at the fundraiser, you can cut small holes in your hat right above your ears. Take a 36 inch length of string (ribbon, shoe lace, etc), loop it around the top front of the hat and drop both ends through the holes. This gives you a way to “tie it down”. Better yet, mount your hat to a bicycle helmet and let the helmet strap keep you safe and hold it down. Alpha witch secures a small hat to her bicycle helmet with small zip-ties.
Pre-Ride Bicycle Safety Check
The witches set good examples and we’re all about safety of ourselves and others around us. Prior to the ride, you’ll receive a free safety check. They’ll check your tires adding air if needed and make sure you’ve “tied it down”. The bicycle safety check is provided by Richwagen’s Bike and Sport and the Delray Beach Bicycle Club. You will not be permitted to ride until your bike is safe.
What are you feeling this year witches? Is your broom tricked out with all the bells and whistles? Is your costume a show stopping spell caster? Can you raise the dead with the best cackle of the coven? Maybe you’ve gotten together with several of your best “ghoulfriends” tricked out your brooms and you’re going to take the streets of Delray by storm with our new Best Group category.
Whatever your poison, show your spirit at the Delray Beach Green Market after our ride and compete for hand- made trophy’s made by our very own and very talented Beta Witch Tricia McFadden, and the best bling you’ll wear all season!
The contests are held after the ride at the Delray Beach Green Market. Even if you don’t plan on entering this year’s contests for Best Broom (bike), best Costume, best Group or best Witch Cackle, it is a fun event to watch and you’ll get to vote and cheer for your favorite witches.
We’ve brought in Delray’s highest authorities of witch style and spirit and we are proud to announce this year’s panel of judges. Joining us this year:
- Returning Judge Amanda Perna Strul of the The House of Perna.
- Returning judge Jestena Boughton of the Colony Hotel & Cabaña Club.
- First time judge Jill Brown– Manager at Arts Warehouse
Emceeing our event again this year will be Robert Geller of Atlantic Commercial Group, Inc. These community members know style…they know class….and they know shenanigans! So, pull out your “witchy” best, see what kind of bedlam we can create, and find out if you’re a good witch or a bad ass witch! Proceeds from this event benefit Achievement Centers for Children and Families.