NOTE: Due to forecast winds of 20 MPH on Saturday, it is very likely we will shorten the 6 mile route down to 4.3 miles. This will be decided at or during the event based on weather conditions at the time.
WHERE: Arrive at the Pavilion near Old School Square
- Free parking available in the Old School Square parking garage, or several nearby public parking lots. See the route map for parking options.
WHEN: Arrive no later than 7:45 AM, Saturday October 29th, 2016. You will need time to:
- Check in – Even if you’ve pre-registered, you will need to check in at the registration table to receive your rider wristband and make sure we have a signed wavier.
- Register – If you didn’t pre-register online or at the fundraiser, you might plan on arriving at 7:30 to register.
- Flying Monkeys will be on hand to air up tires and perform bicycle safety checks.
- Tie everything down. We’re expecting 20 MPH winds so make sure your hat is tied down. If you missed the “Grommet Station” at the fundraiser, flying monkeys can put small holes in your hat and give you a string to tie it down. Flying monkeys have additional supplies to help tie decorations down. Don’t underestimate the foretasted 20 MPH winds.
- You’ll have time to enjoy meeting other witches, looking at the bikes, taking pictures and meeting other members of the coven.
- Rest rooms are available.
- 7:45 – check in / registration.
- 8:00 AM to 8:45 – Safety checks, professional photographer Jim Greene will be on hand to capture photos of the pre-flight activities.
- 8:45 – Rider instructions (Patrick Halliday and the Delray Beach Police Department)
- 8:55 – Line up for takeoff – Group photo by professional photographer Jim Green.
- 9:00 – Witches Take Flight!
- 9:45 – Witches return to the Green Market. Water station / refreshments / restroom break.
- 10:00 – Group photo / check presentation.
- 10:15 – Self-judging to select finalists for best broom and best costume contests.
- 10:40 – Contest begins featuring local celebrity judges.
- 11:20 – Contest winners announced.
- 11:30 – Event wrap up.
- Test drive your bike fully decorated. Are the decorations safe and do not interfere with safe bicycle operation?
- Is your costume bicycle friendly? Wind could blow your costume into moving parts. Make sure nothing can get caught in the spokes, chain and otherwise interfere with safe operation of the bike.
- Is your hat tied down? It’s hard to keep both hands on the handlebars if you’re holding your hat down. If you missed our hat grommet station at the fundraiser, you can cut small holes in your hat right above your ears. Take a 36 inch length of string (ribbon, shoe lace, etc), loop it around the top front of the hat and drop both ends through the holes. This gives you a way to “tie it down”. Better yet, mount your hat to a bicycle helmet and let the helmet strap keep you safe and hold it down. Alpha witch secures a small hat to her bicycle helmet with small zip-ties.
- Have you seen and reviewed the route map and do you know where we’re starting? If not, consult the 2016 Route Map and info.
- If you rode with us last year, do you know we’re meeting at a new location? If not consult the route map.
- Do you know what time to be there? (Hint: 7:45 AM Saturday October 29th, 2016). View the full schedule HERE.
- Have you read the rider rules? If not, review them HERE on our web site.
- Do you know where to go to keep informed on the latest? (Hint: visit and bookmark THIS PAGE where we’ll post the latest information.)
- Are you planning on bringing water? We have a six mile route with no water stops. There will be restrooms at the starting and ending points but please bring water to stay hydrated during the ride.
What are you feeling this year witches? Is your broom tricked out with all the bells and whistles? Is your costume a show stopping spell caster? Can you raise the dead with the best cackle of the coven?
Whatever your poison, show your spirit at the Delray Beach Green Market after our ride and compete for the best bling you’ll wear all season!
The contests are held after the ride and group photo / check presentation at the Delray Beach Green Market. Even if you don’t plan on entering this years contests for Best Broom (bike), Costume or best Witch Cackle, it is a fun event to watch and you’ll get to vote and cheer for your favorite witches.
We’ve brought in Delray’s highest authorities of witch style and spirit! And we are proud to announce this year’s panel of judges. Joining us this year:
Returning Judge Amanda Perna of the House of Perna.
First time judge Jestena Boughton of the Colony Hotel and Cabana Club.
First time judge Matthew Farmer – Artistic Director at Delray Beach Center for the Arts.
Emceeing our event will be Robert Geller of Atlantic Commercial Group.
These community members know style…they know class….and they know shenanigans! So pull out your “witchy” best, see what kind of bedlam we can create, support the Achievement Centers for Children & Families and find out if you’re a good witch or a bad ass witch!
This year the fundraiser raised $3,153 the Achievement Center for Children and Families. Once again the witches have outdone themselves and exceeded the previous years fundraiser amount which was $2,096.
Combined with riders who have pre-registered, we’ve already exceeded last year’s grand total and we still have more riders to register. Help us fill out this check. What will the grand total be?
As for the event itself, it was a wicked fine blast! You can view photos of this amazing event in our photo album HERE. Be sure to check out Alpha’s “Selfie Broomstick” photos.
Alpha Witch brought her custom “Selfie Broom” to this years fundraiser. Take a look at the fun!
Hello my pretties…
It’s hard to keep both hands on the handlebars if you have to keep one on your witch hat. Would you like a way to tie it down? Come out to the Fundraiser Friday October 21st and for a $5 donation to the Achievement Center, one of our “Flying Monkeys” will set grommets in your hat so you can “tie it down”. You can choose from brass or chrome grommets to match your hat!
Keep it safe Witches!
Witches Brew Fundraiser
Friday, October 21st, 2016 Starting at 4 PM
Tim Finnegans Irish Pub
2885 South Federal Highway
Delray Beach, Florida 33483
561-330-3153 (Reservations not accepted for this event)
Come in costume (optional), meet the coven and be a part of the 2016 “Witches Brew” ride kickoff at Tim Finnegan’s Irish Pub in Delray Beach.
- Raffles, drawings, silent auction, 50/50 raffle.
- One of a kind Amanda Perna decorated bike.
- Sign up to ride.
- Review the ride route.
- Get rider tips and decorating tips.
- Group photos.
- Live music, food and drink specials.
You probably know Delray Beach’s own – Amanda Perna from her appearances on Project Runway in seasons 9 and 14. (some videos here, here and here). She also was a judge for last year’s contests and will return to judge this year’s contests. Amanda has graciously offered to give this years fundraiser auction bike some “style” as only Amanda can do.
When you bid on this year’s fundraiser bike, you’ll be bidding on an Amanda Perna original. Please plan on attending this years pre-event fundraiser at Tim Finnegans Irish Pub to see the bike and bid on this one this unique item in the silent auction.
We hope you’ll be excited to ride this bike in the event but please understand, due to the “unfair advantage”, this bike will not be eligible for entry in the best bike (Broom) contest.
For more information about the Witches Brew Kickoff Fundraiser go HERE.
Witch Ride Rules
- Bicycles only. No scooters, golf carts, or roller blades.
- Riders must be 18 years of age. Riders 14 years and up may ride if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. By law, riders under the age of 16 MUST wear a helmet and will be turned away if not wearing a helmet.
- Only one rider per bike. No children in child bicycle seats, or carriers will be permitted.
- No pets.
- You must wear your official wrist band to participate. Wristbands will be provided the morning of the ride.
- Please keep costumes family-friendly. Nothing too revealing or too scary. We will be seen by lots of children. If your costume is inappropriate you will be asked to leave.
- Helmets are encouraged, but not required. Alpha will wear one to set a good example.
- Be courteous and aware of vehicle traffic. We want to be safe and we don’t want to irritate drivers. Remember, we are representatives of our community and the Witches of Delray.
- By law, bicycles must follow all motor vehicle laws and regulations meaning we will stop for red lights and stop signs. Make sure you read and understand the “Bicycle Safety” section below.
- Due to the size of our group, we expect to get separated into two or more groups at red lights. DO NOT RUN A RED LIGHT. As a rider, it is your responsibility to observe traffic laws. If the light changes and you cannot make it through the light, stop and catch up with the rest of the group at one of the ride catch-up points.
- This is not a race. Do not pass the Alpha Witch or the escort vehicle.
- Do not hand out candy.
- Do not use phones or cameras while riding. The road, other riders, cars, etc. should have your full attention.
- If you have a light for your bicycle, please plan on using it. A light, even during daylight hours increases your visibility and reduces the risk of an accident.
- Understand the rules of the road. When riding on the street, you are considered a “vehicle” in the state of Florida and therefore must adhere to all traffic rules as though you were an automobile. This includes driving on the correct side of the road, executing turns from the correct lane, and stopping at all stop signs and red lights and observing all traffic laws.
- When riding on the road, remain as far to the right as is safe and beware of road debris to the right, parked cars or car doors opening. If cars cannot safely pass you, take more of the roadway to discourage unsafe passing. As a vehicle, you have the same right to road as cars.
- When a bicycle lane is present it should be used.
- Riders should ride no more than two abreast. Riding more than two abreast is illegal.
- Do not follow other riders too closely. Riders may have to stop quickly due to unexpected road hazards and you will need time to safely stop.
For more bicycle safety information visit “Human Powered Delray” at http://humanpowereddelray.org
- If you wish to participate in the post-ride contests for “Best Decorated Bike”, “Best Costume” or “Best Cackle”, you must complete the entire ride from start to finish.
The following schedule is tentative and may be updated as we get closer to the ride. Please check this post before the ride to make sure you have the latest schedule information.
7:45 AM: Plan on meeting in front of the Old School Square Pavilion – 51 N Swinton Ave, Delray Beach, FL 33444. There is nearby free parking at the Old School Square parking garage, the Railroad lot among others. (See route map which includes parking HERE). Restrooms are available nearby. There are no restroom stops along the route.
Even if you’ve preregistered, plan on arriving early as you’ll need to pick up your wristband. The Flying Monkeys will be on hand to air up tires and assist with bicycle issues. Photographers will be on hand to capture rider photos.
8:30 AM: Group photos.
8:45 AM: Rider safety instructions by Patrick Halliday of Delray Beach Bike Club and Human Powered Delray.
8:55 AM: The ride begins! We are trying to time the ride to avoid drawbridge openings and we don’t want to be late to the Green Market.
10:00 AM – 10:15 AM: (approximate) Arrive at the green market for group photo, contest judging.
10:30 AM: Group Photo. We realize some witches may not be able to stay for the contest but please plan on sticking around long enough for the group photo.
10:45 AM: Official contest Judging by local Delray Beach celebrity judges.
The Witches of Delray 2016
by Jane Ratcliffe
It was five years ago on Halloween morn’
A small coven gathered to weather the storm
With their brooms all bedazzled in the dark spooky flair
That handful of witches took off to the air!
Giggling, cackling, casting spells of good deeds
Those wonderful witches, they planted the seeds.
And let me tell you, my friend, how those seeds of grown
Some 80 plus witches can brag that they’ve flown!
And you can fly too, just put on your hat,
Then grab your best broom. It’s as easy as that!
For The Witches of Delray only fly once a year
And you don’t want to miss it, now trust me my dear!
And when we land in the square, our spells all but cast
Our work now completed, it’s always a blast!
So join us on that day, and all the days that will come
For we witches are busy! Our work’s NEVER done!
Greetings my pretties!
As our coven continues to grow every year, we have more fun but we also face new challenges with keeping the ride safe for us and our community. Once again, we are very excited to announce the Delray Beach Bicycle Club’s will be providing rider support for this year’s ride!
If you’re not familiar with the Delray Beach Bicycle Club, they’re dedicated to helping the community develop the proper skills for bicycle safety and fitness. Together with Human Powered Delray, they share a goal to it make it safer, easier and more fun to walk and bike in Delray. The efforts of these groups include community bicycle safety education for both bicyclists and motorist, community bike rides, and working with local and regional officials to improve safe biking and pedestrian-friendly roadways and paths in Delray Beach.
The Witches of Delray represent our community and should do her proud by setting a stellar example of safe, responsible bicycling practices. This wonderful partnership will help ensure we do just that and have the safest and most fun flight yet!
Please take a moment to visit their web sites http://delraybeachbikeclub.com and http://humanpowereddelray.org to learn more about their missions and efforts. Consider joining or donating to help make Delray a safer community bicycling.
Thank you Patrick Halliday, Delray Beach Bike Club and Human Powered Delray for your tireless efforts for our community and your help and support with our 2016 Witch Ride!
Need some costume and bike inspiration, take a look at last year’s winners for the 2015 Best Broom, Best Costume and Best Witch Cackle…
2015 “Best Broom” Winner – Lynn Davanzo Korp
Any witch knows a smooth and stylish flight is all about the broom! And boy did this witch have it goin on! Check out Witch Lynn DaVanzo Korp winner of our 2015 Witches of Delray Best Decorated Broom award! She’s planning on stealing the award again this year so dust off those brooms witches! She’s a tough witch to beat!
2015 “Best Costume” Winner – Tara Mals
Have you been planing your most spellbinding outfit yet? Check out WitchTara Mals winner of our 2015 Witches of Delray Best Costume award! Can’t wait to see what she conjures up this year!!
2015 “Best Cackle” Winner – Anita Holland
Got a cackle that could raise the dead? We wanna hear it witches!!! Come out and compete against the stiffest cackle competition in the south! Check out Witch Anita Holland winner of our 2015 Witches of Delray Best Cackle award! She’s got a cackle that makes all her familiars cringe with delight! Can you beat it?
The 2016 Route is out! Position your “familiars” along the route for photos of our flight. Once again, we can thank the Delray Beach Bicycle Club and Human Powered Delray for their efforts in helping us plan the route and keep us safe while in flight. This year’s route is six miles and features scenic beachfront A1A, Atlantic Avenue and Swinton Avenue so there is sure to be plenty of exposure and fun. Tie your witch hats on and join us for the fun!
Click the image below to view the route image.
Want to print the route? Get a PDF HERE.
Greetings My Pretties!!!
It’s that time of year again and we are gearing up for our 2016 Witches of Delray bike ride to benefit the Achievement Center of Delray Beach. below is downloadable, printable flyer for you to print post and share to promote our annual Witch Ride for Charity as well as the Witches Brew kickoff fundraiser at Tim Finnegan’s Irish Pub. More details are coming soon so stay tuned! We will be announcing our route and start times for the ride in the next couple of weeks.
We are still gathering items/donations for our Witches Brew, so if you or someone you know has something you think would make a great donation please have them contact me Alpha Witch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a wonderful week witches! We’ll chat soon!
Download, print and share the flyer.
(click the flyer below for a full size PDF file)